Have questions? Learn more about our skills training programs here.
Below are frequently asked questions about our skills training programs.
Workforce programs for the public
- What is the new 29 million skills training commitment?We are excited to announce our new commitment that by 2025 AWS will help 29 million people grow their technical skills with free cloud computing skills training. To do this, we will continue expanding our current programs and piloting new initiatives designed to meet a wide variety of schedules and learning goals.
We will provide training opportunities through existing AWS-designed programs, including AWS Training and Certification; AWS re/Start; AWS Educate; Machine Learning University; and the AWS Fiber Optic Fusion Splicing Program.
Our focus is global, and our goal is to make cloud skills training accessible to anyone, anywhere. This plan is part of our ongoing commitment to support the future workforce.
It builds on the Upskilling 2025 commitment we made last year to train our own employees. Skills training is an area we have been focused on for a long time. We're excited to continue increasing access to cloud skills training, and give new opportunities to anyone who wants to further their technical knowledge.
- How can I get started?We are providing training opportunities through existing AWS-designed programs, as well as developing new programs to meet a wide variety of schedules and learning goals. Each program is different in terms of the content provided and delivery method. We recommend reviewing the program websites listed in our report for details on what you’ll learn and how to get started.
- How much is AWS investing in providing 29 million people with skills training?We are investing hundreds of millions of dollars to provide free cloud computing and technical skills training to people from all walks of life and all levels of knowledge, in more than 200 countries and territories.
- Are these programs free?Yes, the courses that are part of our commitment to train 29 million people are free. We want to make sure these trainings are accessible for all.
Programs for Amazon employees
- What is Upskilling 2025?In July 2019 we launched Upskilling 2025, our pledge to invest $700 million to provide skills training to 100,000 Amazon employees in the U.S. by 2025 so they could access in-demand jobs.In July 2019, Amazon committed $700 million to provide 100,000 employees, roughly a third of our U.S. workforce at the time, with access to upskilling programs through 2025.
These training programs—including Amazon Technical Academy, Associate2Tech, Machine Learning University, Career Choice, Amazon Apprenticeship, and AWS Training and Certification—support Amazonians as they gain critical skills to move into higher skill, better-paying, technical and non-technical roles, either within Amazon or elsewhere.
- How is Amazon tracking towards Upskilling 2025, its employee commitment?Through this pledge, Amazon is focused on creating pathways to careers in areas that will continue growing in years to come, like healthcare, cloud computing, and machine learning. Since making this commitment in 2019, Amazon has scaled and expanded these six employee-focused programs across the U.S., with 15,000 participants trained in the first 12 months of our commitment.
- Do employees pay to participate in Upskilling 2025?All Amazon programs are paid in full by Amazon, and with Career Choice, Amazon pays up to 95% of tuition and fees toward certificates or diplomas.
- Who are the 100,000 employees benefitting from Upskilling 2025?These programs are for employees throughout the U.S., across all different job types and levels.