For the millions of people in America managing chronic conditions, navigating the accessibility and cost of their medications can be dizzying. Challenging conditions like diabetes and obesity often require newer, branded therapies to enable a better and healthier future. Yet these transformative medicines can be prohibitively expensive for patients. That’s why we’re making it easier for patients to afford these medicines with coupons on Amazon Pharmacy, a new feature that automatically applies manufacturer-sponsored coupons directly to an eligible patient’s order.
To reduce out-of-pocket costs, some drug manufacturers offer coupons on their brand-name medications. However, unless a patient knows to ask, these discounts can be hard to find—a recent study found patients only used manufacturer-sponsored coupons 15% of the time they were available to them.1 Even once coupons are found, a patient faces a tedious, confusing process that involves searching online, downloading forms, enrolling in a program, or having to call the drug manufacturer directly. We believe it should be much easier for patients to find and afford appropriate clinical solutions.
That’s why we’re pleased to work with GSK, Kaléo, Novo Nordisk, and Dexcom to integrate coupons for their brand-name medications—including Trelegy, AUVI-Q, Wegovy, G6 and G7 continuous glucose monitoring systems, and more—directly into the checkout experience on the Amazon Pharmacy website and app. Now, eligible patients can seamlessly access savings on novel, brand-name therapies for the treatment of diabetes, emphysema, obesity, and other conditions. Amazon Pharmacy will automatically apply these coupons at checkout when eligible, meaning patients no longer have the burden of finding and applying coupons, and can focus on managing their care. No clipping, clicking, or downloading.
Automatic savings from manufacturer-sponsored coupons is one more way Amazon Pharmacy is providing selection, value, and convenience for patients who need prescription medications. When not using a coupon, Prime members can also access the Prime prescription savings benefit. This enables discounts of up to 80% off generic and 40% off brand-name medications at more than 60,000 participating pharmacies nationwide, including Amazon Pharmacy, when paying without insurance.2 Patients can also save time and money by enrolling in RxPass, a new Prime membership benefit that offers access to unlimited eligible prescription medications for only $5 per month, including free shipping.3 Amazon Pharmacy also accepts most insurance plans, provides free delivery, and connects patients 24/7 with a pharmacist.
We at Amazon Pharmacy are hopeful that this new feature will both improve the patient experience and connect people with more affordable access to the medicines they need to better manage their health. We will continue to add more coupon selection over time, helping more patients save time and money.
- How can I access coupons on Amazon Pharmacy?Eligible coupons will be automatically applied during the checkout process, with no action required from patients to redeem. If a coupon can be used with insurance, it will be applied and reduce a patient’s final copay price. For more information about available coupons on Amazon Pharmacy, visit pharmacy.amazon.com/coupons.
- What manufacturer-sponsored coupons are available?Eligible patients can automatically access savings on brand-name therapies to help treat diabetes, asthma, emphysema, obesity, and other common conditions. To see a full list of currently available coupons, visit pharmacy.amazon.com/coupons.
- Why are only a handful of coupons available now?Coupons available on Amazon Pharmacy connect patients with savings provided by drug manufacturers. We will continue to work with manufacturers to add more coupon selection over time.
- Are there restrictions on the coupons?Yes, there are some restrictions. Coupons may work in connection with your insurance, but whether a particular medication is covered under your insurance plan depends on your insurance provider. Coupons cannot be applied in addition to RxPass or the Prime prescription savings benefit. Additionally, patients who are eligible to receive benefits from any state or federal health care program, such as Medicare, Medicaid, or Medicare Part D, cannot use manufacturer-sponsored coupons at this time.
- Can the manufacturer-sponsored coupons available at Amazon Pharmacy be redeemed at other pharmacies?The manufacturer coupons offered on the Amazon Pharmacy site may only be used to fill prescriptions with Amazon Pharmacy. However, drug manufacturers and medical device companies provide financial assistance to patients in various ways, and similar or equivalent coupons may be available elsewhere.
- Where can I find more information about coupons?To learn more, visit pharmacy.amazon.com/coupons.
1 Commonwealth Massachusetts Health Policy Commission Prescription Drug Coupon Study (2020)